Friday, April 5, 2013

Adoption - Wake Up

Do We Even Comprehend this Problem?  I didn't!

When I first thought of people adopting in China - most recently I had heard it was a 5 or 6 year wait and that China was changing it's laws making it more difficult to adopt.  Hmmm - much to my suprise this was only for a small population (the very non special need children with no known medical concern at all not even a birth mark).  Of course, these babies are very hard to come by.  But there are hundreds (sorry thousands) of babies waiting to be loved with more minor special needs from Heart murmur to cleft lip etc... to more severe cases.

Anyway on to my story -

I do not know where to begin....  I never expected people to jump up and down when we mentioned we were adopting.  Of course, it is our choice and what we feel is the right thing to do as well along with this longing and passion.

I guess I just did not expect such lack of care and the "oh good for you and what a lucky girl".  When in the end WE will be blessed not only by her but by the entire experience.  And yes, there will be trials, tribulations and such that come along with  doing anything good and worth while.  Hence - the story of my life.

The joys of mothering are an honor as well as the tribulations (which means making a difference).

Anyway back to adoption- watch any of the "Lost Girls of China" (i posted some clips in a different post) videos and you might have more of an understanding of the problem.  Maybe then the eyes might Wake Up to the cold realities of this world and that their are children left alone without family to love and tuck them in.  We have turned in such self professing people and meeting our own goals that we can not see the pain of others. Most and more than most have offered kind comments and support and we are very grateful.

Anyway again back to adoption.  Ok so the orphanages have rooms of cribs each crib housing 2 babies.  They hold their own bottles or they are tied up for them.  This is not the way children were meant to live.  Many children will never be adopted - medical needs or aging out etc.  Once a child is 14 they are considered aged out they then need to find jobs to support themselves, many helping out at orphanages where they once lived.  This is a better senario - many others age out to the streets to no education and left to be products of human trafficking.  This will be the reality of many.  There are just far to many.

We are so lucky to wake up out of a cozy bed with food to eat, family to love and love us and lovely surroundings.  I know for years I have taken this all for granted.  I once was there getting my own needs met and Only worried about that and meeting my own goals.  I am so glad that I was AWakened through Bible study.  The desire to adopt has always been there and I always knew I would have all boys and I would be adopting for girl/girls - But I was not awake to what the Need was - I was only looking to fulfill my need not the other way around - which led me to considering adopting a special needs child.  :)

New Hope Foundation China Video:


What can we do:

We can adopt
We can support families who wish to adopt
We can sponsor a child
We can sponsor orphanages
I believe there are special programs for teens being established as well.

Every little bit helps make a difference!

Ok off my box - over and out! :)

Adopting Waiting Children from China:

No comments:

Post a Comment